I am reaching out today because I am desperate for your support. As you know, I have been fighting on behalf of bully breeds since the early 2000's. I stood on the steps of the California State House to ensure breed ban legislation would not impact our beloved bully breeds and nearly 11 years later, it's still an issue of debate.
Montreal has just passed one of the most dangerous, life-threatening breed ban legislation we've seen. States across America are still considering voting on similar legislation. Despite the positive press and hard work myself and others have put in to show that the problem is not with the dog, but rather the "owner".
I am beside myself with grief and frustration that I have not been able to dedicate the time necessary to continue with this fight, because I've been deep in the trenches of California's pet overpopulation crisis. And it is a crisis. Thousands of animals die in California shelters each week.
So, I am calling on YOU, our faithful LBWF family, because our small team may be mighty, but it's not enough anymore! We need to expand across the state, the nation, and across the borders with our message.
It starts with EDUCATION!
Why BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) does NOT work! • It's not financially sound as it often ties up community resources while cases are determined
• Many folks cannot properly identify the breed in question
• Any dog (or companion animal for that matter) can bite
• It has NO scientific basis
• It's not supported by the following organizations: American Bar Association, American Kennel Club, American Veterinary Medical Association, American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, National Animal Control, Association, National Canine Research Council, The Obama Administration, State Farm Insurance, The US Department of Justice
We also need more education on: • The importance and necessity of spaying and neutering, so we can end pet overpopulation • Ending puppy mills once and for all, so we can end the senseless suffering of mama dogs whose feet often times never touch the ground
• The importance of micro-chipping, so beloved pets can return home
• The importance of vaccinations, so we can eradicate diseases like parvo that leave innocent puppies suffering
• Updating our licensing laws so that pet "owners" are held responsible for their animal's actions, not the animal.
• Updating pet "ownership" laws - we are pet guardians, meant to serve and protect are beloved companion animals
We need your financial contributions now more than ever, so we can expand our programming and really dive into the key points listed above.
Be a voice in your community. Use social media to spread the message about the important aforementioned topics. Support your local shelters and rescues. They need you just as much as we do! And, donate today so we can expand our efforts!
Together we CAN make a difference.
With much love and gratitude,
Founder and President
Hi Friends! LBWF will be attending WorldFest at Woodley Park in Encino tomorrow (Saturday, May 16th). Please stop by and show your support and maybe even meet a new furry forever friend! We’ll have pals for adoption and ways to help the foundation even if you can’t adopt! Our very own Linda Blair will be Click here to read more–>
Dear Friends of LBWF, Vote for us at www.theanimalrescuesite.com and we could win $20,000 to help pets in need. The Animal Rescue Site is hosting a special challenge for eligible Petfinder.com member shelter and rescue groups. The grand prize is a $20,000 grant, and they will be awarding many other grants to rescue groups with Click here to read more–>
May 9th we will be at the PetExpo USA at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita!! The event is from 10-6 and is sure to be loads of fun! LBWF is a featured partner of PetExpo USA and will be there with many wonderful dogs for adoption. Be sure to stop by and check Click here to read more–>
Dear Friends of LBWF, Like many non-profits, volunteers are the cornerstone of the WorldHeart Foundation and we are in dire need of good, reliable volunteers. If you have a passion for dogs, a good sense of humor, and don’t mind getting down and dirty on occasion then please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out Click here to read more–>
The Best Friends Spring Adoption Festival is happening this Sunday at Westchester Park! For more information click here. We hope to see you all there! Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009 Time: 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Place: Westchester Park 7000 W. Manchester Ave. Los Angeles, CA